Independence Day Celebrations are just around the corner, and that means it’s time to start planning your menu! This year, why not try something a little different and prepare some delicious 4th of July seafood recipes?
One of the great things about seafood is that not only can it provide a number of health benefits, but it can be enjoyed hot or cold. If you’re looking for a lighter option, shrimp skewers or chilled crab legs are perfect. For heartier appetites, some grilled salmon or lobster tails will hit the spot! And don’t forget the sides!
In this blog post, we’ve put together a list of both hot and cold recipes that are perfect to impress your friends and family for your 4th of July celebration. From seafood dips, fried fish, to fresh crab legs we’ve got you covered! So let’s fire up the grill and get cooking!
Hot, Cheesy Crab Dip
This recipe is so fast and a guaranteed way to make you guests smile when they arrive to your event! Combining cheese, spices, and crabmeat for the perfect blend of flavors.
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons OLD BAY® Classic Seafood Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Mustard
- 1 pound lump crabmeat
- 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix cream cheese, mayonnaise, Old Bay Seasoning and ground mustard in medium bowl until well blended. Add crabmeat; toss gently.
- Spread in shallow 1 1/2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese and additional Old Bay Seasoning, if desired.
- Bake 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Serve with assorted crackers or sliced French bread.
Fresh Snow Crab Legs
This recipe is perfect for those who love crab legs! Can also be paired with steamed vegetables, potatoes, oysters, grilled shrimp, and scallops for a full seafood boil station.
- 4 pounds Snow Crab leg clusters
- 2 lemons 1 juiced, 1 sliced for serving
- Butter: ½ cup Divided ¼ cup cut and cubed, ¼ cup melted for serving
- Lemon pepper or Old Bay Seasoning to taste
- 2 teaspoons garlic
- Thaw crab legs, if needed. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line the baking sheet with foil. Place snow crab clusters on foil lined baking sheet
- Squeeze lemon over crab legs evenly.
- Lay ¼ cup butter, cubed on top of crab legs
- Sprinkle crab legs with lemon pepper and minced garlic. Place crab legs in the oven for 5-7 minutes.
- Serve warm with lemon wedges and your second 1/4 cup of melted butter for dipping.
Baja Shrimp Tacos
A flavorful recipes that combines everyones favorite dish of tacos and freshens it up for summer! A long list of ingredients with a quick prep and cook time, so what could be better? Also note, the recipe makes 4-6 tacos, so you will want to multiple based on amount of guests.
- 1 pound large shrimp, cooked, deveined, tails-off (thawed and patted dry)
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil (or any cooking oil)
- 1/2 cup whole milk plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 medium lime, juiced
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder (or regular chili powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Slaw & Taco Toppings
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 3/4 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 cup matchstick carrots
- 4 medium whole wheat tortillas
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup cotija cheese
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
Season The Shrimp
- Prepare the shrimp and pat them dry.
- Mix the ancho chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, and almond flour together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the shrimp in and mix to coat evenly and set aside.
Make The Sauce
- Mix the yogurt, vinegar, lime juice, honey, smoked paprika, garlic, chili powder, and salt together.
- Set aside.
Mix The Slaw
- Mix the green cabbage, red cabbage, and carrots.
- Add in about 3/4 of the sauce and mix to coat evenly.
- Set aside.
Cook The Shrimp
- Heat the avocado oil in a sauté pan or skillet over medium heat.
- Cook the shrimp in the oil for about 5-7 minutes, or until the seasoning coating begins to brown and the shrimp are evenly warm.
Make Baja Shrimp Tacos
- While the shrimp are cooking, heat the tortillas on a separate burner.
- Layer each tortilla with the slaw mixture, Baja shrimp, chopped red onion, cotija cheese, a drizzle of extra sauce, and chopped cilantro.
Fresh Lobster Tails
Sometimes the best seafood recipes are the simple ones! Lobsters tails are sure to be the hit of your meal with a fresh light smoky flavor.
- 1/4 c. melted butter
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. lemon zest
- 2 tbsp. freshly sliced chives, plus more for garnish
- 2 tbsp. freshly chopped parsley, plus more for garnish
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 4 (8-oz.) lobster tails
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Use a preheated grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. In a small bowl, whisk together melted butter, lemon juice, zest, chives, parsley, garlic, and other seasoning .
- Using kitchen shears, cut top of lobster shell from meaty portion of tail. Using a knife, cut halfway through meat down the center, without cutting all the way through. Insert a skewer lengthwise through the lobster to keep lobster from curling up when cooked.
- Brush all over with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill flesh side down until lightly charred, about 6 minutes. Flip lobster and dollop a spoonful of butter mixture on flesh side. Grill until proper temperature about 135-140 degrees F, about 5 minutes more.
- Remove lobster from grill and sprinkle with red pepper flakes. Serve with lemon wedges.
So there you have it, a few of our 4th of July seafood favorites! All of these dishes are full of flavor and can be paired with traditional, Summer foods including: barbecued chicken, ribs, grilled steak, burgers, potato salad, corn on the cob, and hot dogs. If you’re not sure what side to serve with your seafood recipes, check out some of the best sides for seafood here.
Summer is the perfect season to fire up the grill and enjoy some delicious seafood! So this year, be sure to add one (or all!) of our 4th of July seafood recipes to the menu. Your guests will thank you!